Re: Patch: Fix user authentication + MKDB

From: Lars Henriksen
Subject: Re: Patch: Fix user authentication + MKDB
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 20:39:41 +0200

On Wed, Sep 25, 2002 at 08:56:07AM -0700, Pankaj K Garg wrote:
> > >  1) MKDB: creates all parent directories in case they did
> > >    not exist.
>
> I used this to fix the problem of the 'com' directory not being there
> for the creation of the default database. Another fix would be to create
> the <prefix>/com directory as part of the 'make install'...I can do that
> if people prefer that. This seemed like a more general fix, as why do
> things in two steps when you can do it in one?

Do you perform gnats administration as root or as the gnats user? I prefer
doing it as the gnats user, but I believe others do it as root. And it's
just that I don't like the thought of invoking "mkdir -p" as root. Anyway,
this isn't very important and your patch has already been committed.

> OK, sorry I did not take a look at the manual:-) I was tripped off
> by the default line '#*:*:view' in the 'gnatsd.user_access' file and
> thought that the default behavior was for plain-text passwords.

Yes, that IS misleading and should be changed to '#*:$0$*:view'. It would
be nice if you included a patch for that as well ;-)

Lars Henriksen