Re: Gnats Status

From: Yngve Svendsen
Subject: Re: Gnats Status
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 12:19:05 +0200

At 11:02 27.05.2003 +0100, Robert Inder wrote:
On the Gnats home page at

    http://www.gnu.org/software/gnats/

you say apparently contradictory things.

Under "GNATS news", you say...

   December 2, 2002: The second beta release of GNATS 4.0 is available
   for download....  This version shouldn't be considered ready for
   production use.

But further down, under "Downloading GNATS", you say...

   The last "official" version is 3.113. If you are creating a new
   GNATS installation, we recommend you to use the current development
   version of GNATS 4.

I am creating a new installation, but it is for "production" use
by a small, "friendly" but distributed user community of around half a
dozen people.

Which version should I use?

My advice is that you should go with version 4, and I would say that 4.0 beta 2 is "more ready" for production use than the 3.11x versions ever were. In fact, if you look closely in the 3.113 documentation, you will see that 3.113 is actually also a beta version.

That's not to say that 4.0 beta 2 doesn't have problems and peculiarities of its own, but most of them have workarounds, and I would say 4.0 beta 2 is the most stable and especially the most powerful GNATS there's ever been.

Yngve Svendsen
Gnatsweb maintainer