Encryption for gnatsd.user_access file

From: Brad Wyman
Subject: Encryption for gnatsd.user_access file
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 12:04:52 -0500

This one has me perplexed.  I'm trying to use md5 encryption for the passwords
in the gnatsd.user_access files.

I'm following the manual in that I type:

perl -e 'use Crypt::PasswdMD5 ; print Crypt::PasswdMD5::unix_md5_crypt "abc123"
, time() % 100000000'

It returns a string which I then add to the gnatsd.user_access file such as:

brad:$1$THESTRINGHERE:edit

This however does not work as I am denied access.  If I use:

brad:$0$abc123:edit

everything works.

I couple of specific things baffle me:
1) every time I run the perl script I get a different string.
2) The example in the manual shows an entry of the format:

rickm:$1$92388623$D7ZIYikzTUqd./d0DTFrI.:edit

What is the numerical string between the two "$"? i.e. $92388623$

Do I need to specify a particular seed to associate with my MD5 password?

I'm working with gnats 3.999.2

Much thanks,

Brad Wyman