Failed to connect error on Gnatsweb installation

From: Frank Cohen
Subject: Failed to connect error on Gnatsweb installation
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 14:29:31 -0700

I am getting a fail error when running the make test utility in Gnatsweb
4.00. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I installed gnats 4.0 from the source (configure/make/make install) into
/usr/gnats. I am running RedHat Linux 8.0 on an Intel box.

I configured the xinet.d settings to run the /usr/local/libexec/gnats/gnatsd
as a service. I also checked and made sure the /etc/services file contain an
entry for support 1529/tc.

I ran the mkdb default utility. I configured the files in:
/usr/gnats/com/gnatsdb/.

I rant the make test utility that comes with Gnatsweb and fot the following:

address@hidden gnatsweb-4.00]# make test USERNAME=fcohen PASSWORD=thedog
DATABASE=gnatsdb
connect...........................................FAIL

Gnatsweb was unable to connect to the GNATS server.

There are several possible reasons for this.  Start off by checking
that the USERNAME, PASSWORD and DATABASE parameters you supplied are
valid.  If they are, there may be a problem in the configuration of
your GNATS server.  Check your GNATS installation, particularly the
host access files (remember that the web server needs access to the
GNATS server), then run the tests again.

make: *** [test] Error 9

When I do a netstat -v I do not see that gnats is listening on 1529. I
suspect that is the problem.

I would love to use Gnat and Gantsweb but I am currently stuck. Any wisdom
to solve this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-Frank