(no subject)

From: Chad Walstrom
Subject: (no subject)
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2005 23:21:59 -0500

I ran into this interesting piece of information in the automake

    6.3 An Alternative Approach to Subdirectories

    If you've ever read Peter Miller's excellent paper, Recursive Make
    Considered Harmful
    the preceding sections on the use of subdirectories will probably
    come as unwelcome advice.  For those who haven't read the paper,
    Miller's main thesis is that recursive `make' invocations are both
    slow and error-prone.

The article contains a lot of good information, and I'm mostly
convinced to take this route.  I'm testing a variation of the patch I
sent out to see if it corrects some of the build issues I had and will
let you know how it turns out.

If anyone has opinions one way or another, let me know.  The only
down-side I have seen so far is that some of the path names get to be
a bit long, so I'm using variables to store that info.  The layout I'm
using is as follows:

         |- gnats
         |  | (included in
         |  `ds-file
         |    ` (included in root/
         |- doc
         :  ` (included in root/

Again, I have not committed any of this to the CVS tree yet.  When I
get a working build, I'll post another patch for review.  With no
recursive calls to make, I'm hoping to see a bit of a build
performance enhancement. ;-) (I'll post results of my tests.)

I've also updated to and corrected the calls
to obsolete M4 macros. (This *will* get rolled in to CVS, regardless
of how we decide to do the's.)