Re: [Help-gnu-emacs] Editing remote file

From: Charles Sebold
Subject: Re: [Help-gnu-emacs] Editing remote file
Date: 19 Sep 2000 07:56:34 -0500

 KWL> I have Emacs installed in one of the UNIX box A and I want to edit
 KWL> a file which locates in a different UNIX box B(network connection
 KWL> is setup). How can I accomplish this? Thank you!

If you have FTP access from A to B, you can visit the file like this:

C-x C-f /username@hostname:/path/to/file

...and it will use a package that comes with Emacs called ange-ftp to
retrieve the file and allow you to edit it as if it were local.  It will
prompt you for a password if it needs one.

Another alternative would be tramp, a great package that allows the same
sort of access via alternate methods such as rsh, ssh, etc.  You can
find that at:

http://ls6-www.cs.uni-dortmund.de/~grossjoh/emacs/tramp.html

Hope this helps.
--