bug? raise-frame not raising invisible frames

From: Drew Adams
Subject: bug? raise-frame not raising invisible frames
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 10:55:23 -0700

This seems to be a bug.  Can someone confirm that, or explain what's to
be done to raise a frame that has previously been first iconified and
then made invisible?

Version: GNU Emacs 20.7.2 (I'm running this on Solaris through Exceed
from Windows 98, in case that's relevant.)

Problem: Doing raise-frame doesn't seem to raise an invisible frame that
was iconified prior to being made invisible; rather, it just makes the
frame iconified again.

Scenario:

 (setq foo (selected-frame))      ; get a handle to some frame
 (iconify-frame foo)                  ; iconify it
 (make-frame-invisible foo)       ; make it invisible
 (raise-frame foo)                    ; try to raise it

symptom: frame foo is "made visible" as an icon by raise-frame; it is
not raised.

FWIW, when I run GNU Emacs 20.6 directly on Windows 98, I don't have
this problem: raise-frame does in fact raise the frame as I would
expect.

BTW, the doc for raise-frame doesn't actually say it raises invisible
frames, but it does say that it makes them visible, which implies that
it shouldn't leave them iconified (states iconified and visible are
exclusive).