Anyone using framepop.el? Or hacked special-display-frames?

From: Peter S Galbraith
Subject: Anyone using framepop.el? Or hacked special-display-frames?
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 16:05:29 -0500

Is anyone using framepop.el?

  http://www.maths.lancs.ac.uk/~smithdm1/elisp/framepop.html

It's description follows:

  Defines temp-buffer-show-function to display buffers in a dedicated
  temporary frame (and so requires a display which can accomodate
  separate frames). The frame is automatically shrink-wrapped to just
  contain the buffer (restricted to a maximum and minimum
  size). Buffers thus affected include *Help*, completion buffers and
  buffer listings.

  Commands are provided for manipulating the FramePop frame:
  scrolling, resizing, window manager functions, and also a facility
  for copying the displayed buffer. You need never lose that handy
  *Help* buffer again!

I ask because I've used and loved it since 1996 and it no longer
works with Emacs-21 (nor is it supported by its author).  I might
try to implement it's functionality using Emacs'
special-display-frames, but first I wanted to know if anyone had
already done something along those lines:

 - It sets the size of the frame dynamically (so it's never too big)

 - It provides a key-map to do things like delete, iconify or lower the frame
   (things you tend to do more when dealing with temporary buffers).

 - The temporary frame can be automatically iconified when no longer
   needed (e.g. The FRAMEPOP frame with the *Completions* buffer disappears
   after a successful completion). (It uses advice.el to do this).

 - The created frame has no menu bar or minibuffer, so users aren't
   tempted to recycle them (instead, they use the provided keymap to
   get rid of them).

 - The frame name is always the same ("FRAMEPOP") so it's easy to configure
   a window manager to not display an icon for it.  Since I only get one
   FRAMEPOP frame (instead of many special-display-frames), I can iconify
   it until it's next use, at which time it is recycled and displayed very
   quickly (since it's not created).

Some of this could be implemented using special-display-frame-alist
(e.g. no menu bar or minibuffer, frame name) but the dynamic sizing is
nice, and the ability to make it disappear without changing input focus
is nice.

(Should I be posting to bug-gnu-emacs instead?)

Thanks,
--
Peter Galbraith, research scientist          <GalbraithP@dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
Maurice Lamontagne Institute, Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada