macros and shell commands

From: Michael Vose
Subject: macros and shell commands
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 13:52:50 -0700 (MST)

I have wondered about this for a very long time...

Suppose I have defined a macro which issues a command,
like "finger bob", in the window which results from
"M-x shell", and the macro then does a search (in
that same window, using "M-x search-backward") for,
say, "billy bob".

The problem is that when executing the macro, it
(the macro) does not wait for the output of the
"finger bob" command, and so the subsequent search
(for "billy bob") fails.

How does one get a macro to do stuff, then *wait*
for a command to finish, then do some more stuff
(as illustrated by the example above)?

Thanks

Michael