Stealing the Lock in Emacs

From: Glickman, Lizbeth
Subject: Stealing the Lock in Emacs
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 09:34:49 -0400

I have read references under the topic of version control (VC mode), that a
user can "steal" the lock. However, for some reason, I cannot find any steps
as to how a person can steal the lock. I only have found references to the
following:

1.      Tell the person who already has the file checked out that you are
stealing the lock.
2.      The person who already has the file checked out receives an
automatic message that another user is stealing the lock.

Can anyone clarify this for me? Again, I am documenting a guide for using
Emacs under X Windows.

Thanks very much.

Lizbeth