Emacs (Linux) activates as user but not as root

From: peter . spotts
Subject: Emacs (Linux) activates as user but not as root
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 03:22:05 GMT

Folks,

A truly newbie question for Emacs on a Linux box: How can I get emacs to
respond to activation as superuser or root, as well as user? I installed
the latest version from a tar.gz file in ~/username and all went well.
When I type emacs at the prompt as user, up comes emacs. When I type
emacs when logged on as root, I get "command not found." At first blush,
this looks like a reverse permissions problem, but being unfamiliar with
lisp-based programs, I have no idea where to begin changing permissions.
/usr/local/bin/emacs itself has root permission.

Any thoughts?

Pete Spotts