Re: Indentation in emacs 21.2.1

From: Lute Kamstra
Subject: Re: Indentation in emacs 21.2.1
Date: 30 Aug 2002 10:37:47 +0200

Jyri Seiger <jyri.seiger@genio.fi> writes:

> I've installed emacs 21.2.1 lately, and found that combination C-M-Q,
> which used to work in previous versions of emacs for code indentation
> doesn't work :( And if I call indent-sexp then indentation looks
> very weird i.e. first level is shifted by 20 spaces (I have set
> indent-tabs-mode to nil), second level is shifted by 18 spaces from
> the previous level, third level is shifted by 12 spaces. So my question
> is: is there something changed in the indentation in new emacs version?

Yes, GNU Emacs now conforms to the new GNU Coding Standards.  Nesting
is considered bad.  Sequential programs are much easier to understand
and maintain than programs with loops and conditional statements.
Hence the Standards prescribe an indentation depth of twenty for the
first level of nesting to discourage it.  Subsequent nesting is
considered to be even worse, but after one level of nesting the
Standards more or less give up on you and don't punish you that much
anymore as for the first level.

Standards are good!  So please use the GNU Coding Standards!

Lute.

--
(spook) => "argus computer terrorism Albanian"
(insert-file-contents "~/.signature") => (error "`~/.signature' too rude")