Re: Editing email replies

From: Peter Davis
Subject: Re: Editing email replies
Date: 30 Aug 2002 11:51:43 -0400

Barry Margolin <address@hidden> writes:

> In article <address@hidden>,
> pd <address@hidden> wrote:
> >I've been thinking about how to edit replies to MIME messages that use
> >multipart/alternative.  For example, suppose the message has a text/plain
> >alternative and a text/html alternative, as shown below.  When I insert some
> >plain text in my reply, I'd really like the resulting message to have the
> >two alternatives for the text before my insertion, then my insertion in
> >plain text, and then the two alternatives after my insertion.
> >
> >In other words,  I want to go from:
> >
> >    multipart/alternative
> >        text/plain
> >        text/html

> >    multipart/mixed
> >        multipart/alternative
> >            text/plain
> >            text/html
> >        text/plain <--- my reply!
> >        multipart/alternative
> >            text/plain
> >            text/html
> This seems like it would be extremely difficult to automate, because Emacs
> would have to determine which parts of the plain and HTML alternatives
> correspond to each other, so that it can find the correct dividing points.

Actually, I just tried this with a certain well-known commercial
e-mail package whose name starts with "E".  What I got was a single
multipart/alternative section, containing a text/plain and a
text/html.  However, the reply line I inserted had been inserted into
both parts!  That seems even more complicated.

                             Peter Davis
               Funny stuff at
                 The artwork formerly shown as prints
    List of resources for children's writers and illustrators at: