Re: Major usability issue

From: Bruce Korb
Subject: Re: Major usability issue
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 13:52:58 -0700

Kai Großjohann wrote:

> > For years I have captured the output of a shell command and inserted
> > it into my document.  The latest distributions of Linux now carry a
> > version of emacs that makes doing that non-obvious.

> See the document on shell-command-on-region to see how to change it:

This is a behavioral change not listed in the news.

> /----
> | If the command generates output, the output may be displayed
> | in the echo area or in a buffer.
> | If the output is short enough to display in the echo area
> | (determined by the variable `max-mini-window-height' if
> | `resize-mini-windows' is non-nil), it is shown there.  Otherwise
> | it is displayed in the buffer `*Shell Command Output*'.  The output
> | is available in that buffer in both cases.
> \----
>
> Does this help?

It explains where the text got to.  Thanks!  Now I have to
set up a macro to pull that text into the current buffer.

This:

C-x + b + "*Shell Comm" + RET + C-h + a + Alt-w + C-x + b + RET + C-y

is a tad unwieldy.  I like the old behavior of splitting the screen
and bringing up the `*Shell Command Output*' buffer.  Much easier.
*sigh*.  Thanks again.