Re: MULE shows gibberish; now what?

From: Luis O. Silva
Subject: Re: MULE shows gibberish; now what?
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 11:29:39 +0400

Privet Ilya!

On Tue, 24 Sep 2002 05:30:31 +0000 (UTC), Ilya Zakharevich writes:

   Ilya> Given the amount of bad press MULE gets (AFAIU,
   Ilya> correctly), I never tried to actully use it.  Well,
   Ilya> now I did.  And it does not work (21.2.2
   Ilya> -no-init-file).

   Ilya> Is there a way for a mortal to understand/fix MULE
   Ilya> bugs?

   Ilya> SPECIFICS of the problem1: when asked to show
   Ilya> cyrillic, it shows cyrillic indeed.  However, the
   Ilya> shown glyphs have no relationship to the actual
   Ilya> Cyrillic text (e.g., in the Hello, World example).
   Ilya> Do not have a slightest idea how to report it in more
   Ilya> details...

For me MULE handles all kinds of Cyrillic encodings very
well. For years I haven't had any problems reading
Russian. I've followed the discussion on this threat and I
thought that the hits given by Kai would help you understand
the problem. I got back to your original message because you
mention there the HELLO file. In my system I do:

$ emacs -no-init-file

then I type `C-h h' I put the point on the first letter of
Здравствуйте! and type `C-u x =' I get

  character: З (07067, 3639, 0xe37)
    charset: cyrillic-iso8859-5
             (Right-Hand Part of Latin/Cyrillic Alphabet (ISO/IEC 8859-5):
 code point: 55
     syntax: word
   category: y:Cyrillic
buffer code: 0x8C 0xB7
  file code: ESC 2C 4C 37 (encoded by coding system iso-2022-7bit-unix)
       font: -Misc-Fixed-Medium-R-Normal--13-120-75-75-C-70-ISO8859-5

If all is right with Emacs you *must* have the same. I think
that this is the case and the problem is in your OS. What
platform are you working on? Do you have the corresponding
fonts installed?

Luis Octavio Silva P.
St. Petersburg State University.
66/3 Botanicheskaya St., Apt.119/2