Re: How to make emacs auto-recognize utf-8 encoded files upon visiting

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: How to make emacs auto-recognize utf-8 encoded files upon visiting
Date: 27 Sep 2002 18:07:48 +0900

Charles Muller <acmuller@gol.com> writes:
> Most importantly, it has been clearly established that Emacs
> does not support CJK in utf-8. That's the point I wanted to make. Hopefully
> this shortcoming will be addressed in future releases.

That's certainly an important feature to be added (and it will be,
though perhaps not until the full `internal unicode' version of emacs;
I'm not entirely cognizant of the various issues involved).  However,
it's really tangential to original poster's question -- how to make
emacs recognize (non CJK for the moment) utf-8 files more intelligently.

That, presumably, is a much simpler thing to fix.

-Miles
--
"1971 pickup truck; will trade for guns"