Re: remote X11/GNU emacs/ssh: Incredible slowness loading libs

From: David Abrahams
Subject: Re: remote X11/GNU emacs/ssh: Incredible slowness loading libs
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 19:40:17 -0400

"Krishnakumar B" <kitty@cs.wustl.edu> wrote in message
dmlit0njctk.fsf@samba.doc.wustl.edu">news:dmlit0njctk.fsf@samba.doc.wustl.edu...
> On Monday, 30 September 2002, "David Abrahams" wrote:
> >
> > No need to get nasty. It's hard to know what information people will
find
> > relevant.
>
> Sorry if I sounded rude. Running an X application on a non-native X server

What does "non-native" mean in this context? It certainly is native x86 code
running on an x86 machine.

It's not Exceed, FWIW; it's Cygwin XFree86: http://cygwin.com/xfree/

> > > I have also had slowdowns with running Emacs 21 when X is enabled.
This
> > > happens when I try connecting to the remote machine using rxvt
(shipped
> > > with Cygwin).
> >
> > I'm not using rxvt, to my knowledge.
>
> What terminal are you using ?

I'm using xterm to launch emacs, but I'm confused by your question because I
can't see how it's relevant. The slowdowns only occur when emacs isn't
running in a terminal window.

> > > Try switching your SSH client (for example use PUTTY's terminal
> > > window).
> >
> > Do you really think that's the culprit, considering that I have no
> > problems with "emacs -nw" run in an xterm window?
>
> Since I have exact symptoms that you posted and it works for me when I do
> this, I suggested this. It's up to you.

Okay. I'm not sure what it means to "switch the SSH client". I have two ways
of starting ssh:

1. From within a dos box running cygwin. It doesn't know about my DISPLAY
and thus I don't bother with -X

2. From within an xterm window I launch on my local machine from within TWM
under cygwin/XFree86

> > I also have no problems running emacs over ssh outside X11, in a regular
> > cygwin window.
>
> What does "outside" mean ?

Outside means I pick the "Cygwin Bash Shell" from my start menu and get a
"dos box" running bash, with no X server running. When I launch emacs it's
running in a character-based mode.

> > > I don't know what is causing the slowdowns in the case when I login
> > > using plink -ssh <hostname>
> >
> > plink?
>
> It's the command-line utility that ships with Putty.

If you have slowdowns with plink, why do you think I'll see an improvement
by switching to its terminal window?

> > The windows command shell always works, but usually not like a charm.
What
> > were you using it for?
>
> To login to a remote machine and start Emacs on the remote machine and
have
> it display using an X server running on the local windows machine.

Uhhhm. Coming up with the correct DISPLAY variable setting for the remote
machine is difficult, isn't it?
Well, OK, I tried it. And it made... no perceivable difference :(

> > > tcpdump is too much for this unless you want to get to the root of the
> > > problem.
> >
> > I wouldn't mind, if it resulted in a useful bug report to the GNU emacs
> > developers.
>
> Again it's up to you. If you have the time, I am sure that the GNU Emacs
> developers will appreciate the extra information.

Do you know where I can find a Cygwin version of this tool (or the
equivalent)?

           David Abrahams * Boost Consulting
dave@boost-consulting.com * http://www.boost-consulting.com