Re: displaying the EUR-Sign in normal buffers

From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: displaying the EUR-Sign in normal buffers
Date: 07 Oct 2002 16:34:48 -0400

> If for example i insert an EUR sign (€) in Microsoft Word, copy it to the
> clipboard and try to insert it into a normal Emacs-buffer (e.g. *scratch*)
> then i get only \200.

I actually accidentally just bumped into the answer:
Your clipboard/word thing is encoded in codepage 1252 (an MS-only
extension of latin-1) where the euro is available as char 128
(i.e. 200 in octal).
So you should try and set your interprogram coding system to cp1252.
I'm not sure how to do that.  And I think that Emacs-21.2's support for
cp1252 is incomplete.

        Stefan