Mac OS X smtpmail "encryption too weak"

From: Gilbert Harman
Subject: Mac OS X smtpmail "encryption too weak"
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 17:08:11 -0400

I used to be able to use emacs to connect to the mail server at my
university, but recently the university smtp server has required
authentication and now I get the following error: "encryption too weak"

503 5.7.0 encryption too weak 0 less than 39
221 2.0.0 smtpserver2.Princeton.EDU closing connection
smtpmail-send-it: Sending failed; SMTP protocol error

I am using Mac OS 10.2.1 and emacs  In addition to the rmail
stuff that used to work, my .emacs file includes:

(setq smtpmail-auth-credentials
      '(("" 25 "myusername" "mypassword")))
(setq smtpmail-starttls-credentials
      '(("" 25 "~/.my_smtp_tls.key"

I have no trouble using the Mac Mail program to send and receive mail using
the new authentication.  But I can't seem to get mail working from within