Re: installing emacs and X11 on OS X

From: Schone Mullerin
Subject: Re: installing emacs and X11 on OS X
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 20:15:10 GMT

In article <mailman.1035832709.18867.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>, Eli
Zaretskii wrote:
> Then perhaps a bug report is on order, with a request to provide a way
> to distinguish the two configurations you are interested in.

Of course there already is a nice clean way to make this distinction,
because emacs already has a variable which captures exactly the right
information.  That variable is window-system.  The only bug is that
it's deprecated.

Are you suggesting a bug report that says "either un-deprecate
window-system or provide an alternative, since it provides information
that isn't otherwise available by any other means"?  If so, we've
reached agreement.

>> and even you don't
>> seem to be able to find anything other than window-system that works
>> for this.  Doesn't that tell you something?
>
> No, not really.  What should that tell me?

That in emacs as it stands today, window-system is essential.  What
other conclusion could there be?  From which it follows that it's the
right variable to use in some cases -- in fact, in this very one we're
discussing.  From that it follows that the blanket condemnations of
all uses of window-system can't possibly be right.