News Reading

From: Christopher
Subject: News Reading
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2002 23:32:49 -0500

When ever I use gnus, I am prompted with this question:

"Gnus auto-save file exists. Do you want to read it?"

Whether I say yes or no, emacs does the same thing. It says "nntp read:"
followed by a certain number of kilobytes. I have to wait until this
process is complete before I can do anything. I think it is actually
fetching a list of newsgroups which it has already fetched several times.

Also, emacs forgets the newsgroups to which I have subscribed after I close
out of it.

Is there a way to bypass this and simply go to a list of groups to which I
have subscribed?