Re: Gnu emacs for (shudder, spit) Windows

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Gnu emacs for (shudder, spit) Windows
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 10:23:16 +0000

Jive Dadson <sdadfas@sadfdsfa.invalid> wrote on Sun, 10 Nov 2002 00:19:23
-0800:
> Howdy folks.  I would like to run a couple of gnu programs on my work
> computer, which is all MS Windows 2000 Pro.  I don't have gcc
> available.  Only VC++ 6.0.  I would like to run gnu emacs and bison.
> Also, I would like a version of gnu emacs that is scriptable with
> Python.

> Is there any painless way to do this?  I've downloaded an emacs and a
> bison distribution.  Taking a quick peek at the files, it looks like
> building either one with VC++ 6.0 would be a project.  Unfortunately, I
> don't have time for a project.

There is a prebuilt binary distribution of Emacs for Windows-NT and
friends.  It is in <ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/windows/emacs/latest>.  To be
recommended is the "fullbin" file.  The instructions are one directory
higher, in <ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/windows/emacs/README>.  You will also
need Windows versions of tar and gzip, but I think there are pointers for
these programs in the README.

As for Bison, I wouldn't know.

> Best regards and tootle-oo.

And to you too, sir!