Re: ? OSX compile from CVS (and some setup questions)

From: Schone Mullerin
Subject: Re: ? OSX compile from CVS (and some setup questions)
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 16:48:26 GMT

To answer your question about building from CVS (which I just had to
do, since the 10.2.1->10.2.2 osx upgrade broke my earlier build), you
really should follow the recommendations on Andrew Choi's page.  In
particular, check out the version from 1-November.

In article <m28yzydbbp.fsf@ifruit.bonn.iz-soz.de>, Heiko Hellweg wrote:
> that only switches the bold/underline attributes around a bit for me.

Yes, I realized after posting that this solution isn't appropriate in
this context.  It _can_ be made to work in xemacs, but not exactly in
the way I described it.

>> Otoh I've never figured out how to display these special latin-1 chars
>> properly in any terminal gnu emacs under osx.  Do you know the answer
>> to that one? It works fine in terminal xemacs, X11 xemacs, X11 gnu
>> emacs, and Aqua/Carbon gnu emacs.
>
> They display them just fine! I just can't enter them :-(

Try ^q with octal codes, as I described before.  Here's a little table
of octal codes I find handy:

     0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
240:   ¡ ¢ £ ¤ ¥ ¦ §
250: ¨ © ª « ¬ ­ ® ¯
260: ° ± ² ³ ´ µ ¶ ·
270:   ¹ º » ¼ ½ ¾ ¿
300: À Á Â Ã Ä Å Æ Ç
310: È É Ê Ë Ì Í Î Ï
320: Ð Ñ Ò Ó Ô Õ Ö ×
330: Ø Ù Ú Û Ü Ý Þ ß
340: à á â ã ä å æ ç
350: è é ê ë ì í î ï
360: ð ñ ò ó ô õ ö ÷
370: ø ù ú û ü ý þ ÿ

If you load iso-insert, you can also do it functionally (eg m-x
insert-u-umlaut).  Most of these functions also have global (?) key
bindings.  Not as easy as using the option key in macos, but usable.

> I've set up Terminal.app for ISO Latin 1 and viewing a file
> with iso encoded umlauts shows them correctly in tty emacs (all the
> builds i mentioned).

Well, I'm puzzled.

I also set Terminal.app to use iso-latin-1.  If I cat a file with
special latin1 characters in it, it looks fine. If I view it in xemacs
running either in a Terminal window or as an X11 client, it looks
fine.  If I view it in carbon emacs running in Aqua, and if I follow
the advice on Andrew Choi's page, it looks fine.  If I view it in gnu
emacs running as an X11 client, it looks fine.

But if I view it in any gnu emacs running in a Terminal window, I get
?'s or some other oddity.  I've never yet seen valid latin1 chars in
the high range when running gnu emacs in a Terminal.  What's your
secret?