Re: Emacs 21.3.50 on OS X 10.2.2

From: Hugo Wolf
Subject: Re: Emacs 21.3.50 on OS X 10.2.2
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 12:58:20 GMT

In article <ww7znsdfyjd.fsf@catwoman.cs.kun.nl>, Joseph Kiniry wrote:
> I did a full update last night and rebuilt for 10.2.2 without an
> issue as well.  Perhaps a full removal of your sandbox and checking
> out the repository again will help?

That's a good point; I should have mentioned this. In my successful
build I did a complete new checkout from scratch of the 11-01 sources,
rather than trying to reuse my earlier checkout (from late October).

> I have an X11 build of Emacs installed via Fink as well, BTW.  My
> two fink targets that drive my entire fink install are emacs (to get
> emacs, all dependent libs, and X11) and sawfish (to get the Gnome
> transitive closure).

Software package management systems like fink are just Good Things in
general - no other motivation needed imo.  All sorts of useful tools
are easily installed this way: anacron, blackbox, cdrtools, dlcompat,
ghostscript, gnome, gtk+, kde, lame, ncftp, rxvt, slang/slrn, stunnel,
tcltk, w3m, xemacs, etc etc plus the libs and headers they depend on.
Some of these require osx-specific patches, which fink provides (no
sense in reinventing those wheels).  Some don't, but it still seems
silly to me to build and install them in an ad hoc manual way when a
nice version-tracking and dependency-management system is available.
Not using fink in osx isn't quite as odd as not using rpm in RedHat,
but it's close...