Re: editing in emacs by overwriting existing contents

From: Daniel Jensen
Subject: Re: editing in emacs by overwriting existing contents
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 08:46:46 +0100

manik.raina@honeywell.com (Manik Raina) writes:

> I had a question. Normally when we type into a file using emacs,
> we add new characters but the buffer places the new characters
> and displaces the old characters to the right.
>
> I've noticed a mode of emacs in which the existing characters are
> not shifted to the right but are overwritten. Any clues as to how
> we enable that mode and leave it once we're done ?

Are you talking about overwrite-mode? You can toggle it with
M-x overwrite-mode or your INS key. If the INS key doesn't work it's
probably because it sends <insertchar> instead of <insert>, and then
you'll have to bind that to overwrite-mode.

--
Daniel Jensen
* (format (concat "mailto:"; "%s@%s.%s") "daniel" "bigwalter" "net")