accented characters in an xterm

From: Dan Hitt
Subject: accented characters in an xterm
Date: 15 Dec 2002 15:52:10 -0500

Hi,

If i want to enter an a with an accent mark over it, i can type
control-x 8 ' a.

Although this always seems to have the same behavior in terms
of what gets in a file---the byte 0x81 followed by the byte 0xe1---
what gets displayed is sensitive to how i'm accessing the xterm.

I'm not sure what the pattern is, but, for example, if i'm connected
via kermit, i just get a question mark displayed.  Or if i'm
connected via ssh to another host, i may just get a question mark.
But on the other hand, i can ssh from host A to B, then from that
session ssh from B to A, then run emacs, and in the double-ssh
environment, get the correct display, but not get the right display
going in a single ssh session.

I have vollowed Peter Wu's <peterwu@hotmail.com> suggestion
(posted in this news group) of trying
   emacs -q --no-site-file
and this doesn't reveal a difference.

There are version differences, but the earliest emacs i'm using is
20.7.1, and i always have the problem when i'm connected through
kermit (independent of version).

Thanks in advance for any advice.

dan