Re: key bindings

From: Kester Clegg
Subject: Re: key bindings
Date: 16 Dec 2002 11:53:08 +0000

sdieselil@yahoo.com (sdieselil) writes:

> On the other side arrow keys and C-z, C-x, C-c, C-v (for clipboard
> operations) are still very comfortable for me so I decide to make a
> mixed key bindings map:

[...]

> Or you can convince me that traditional Emacs system is better?

I would stick to the traditional Emacs, simply because if you need to
work on someone else terminal, it's a pain when you've set up too many
personalised keybindings.  You're immediately rendered a newbie on
someone else's machine, or you can't use their emacs because they've
done their own weird bindings.  Plus, lot's of other apps use the
default emacs bindings, e.g. the bash CLI, Matlab, etc, etc..  And you
may not be able to make use of people's smart answers on this newsgroup
if you've overwritten some default binding or other.  :-)

The keys you suggest for the clipboard are heavily used already...

Kester Clegg                            Dept. of Computer Science,
Research Assistant (UTC)                University of York,
Tel (01904) 43 27 49                    email: kester at cs.york.ac.uk