Re: Software/HD ecology

From: Peter S Galbraith
Subject: Re: Software/HD ecology
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 13:29:11 -0500

Ajanta <ajanta@no.spam> wrote:

> > Anyway, nowadays,  people almost always use package  managers, such as
> > RPM in RedHat and SuSE.
>
> To have package managers which work on only one or two sub-flavors or,
> as in Fink's case, only on the software downloaded from one source is
> really not such a hot solution (though a welcome "patch").

?

Package managers are a working solution now.  There's no way you'll get
the thousands of software titles out there to change to solve your
problem, since it's not a problem for most of them.

Use a package management system too and you'll solve your problem!

To address specific points:

> To have package managers which work on only one or two sub-flavors

Sub-flavors of what?  Unix?  Well these tools are free, so adapt them to
your flavor.  Obviously the one or two sub-flavors have solved their
problem (It's much more than one or two.  Just about every GNU/Linux
distrubition has some sort of package management system).

> only on the software downloaded from one source

RPMs often come from different sources (I don't view that as a plus),
and Debian packages just about everything!

Peter