NT-Emacs (on Windows 2000). How do I make Emacs just one job?

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: NT-Emacs (on Windows 2000). How do I make Emacs just one job?
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2002 09:49:00 +0000

NT-Emacs 21.2 on Windows 2000.

Apologies for not having mastered the correct technical terms here.

When I open several frames, each frame appears to Windows 2000 as a
separate program, in the sense that Windows's <alt>-<tab> switches
between these Emacs frames (and other running programs).

[I haven't investigated whether anything analogous holds in any X window
managers.]

I would prefer to have it that all Emacs frames (belonging to a single
invocation of Emacs) are represented by a _single_ Emacs icon in the
<alt>-<tab> display, not one icon per frame.

Is there an easy way of achieving this effect?

Thanks in advance.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)
Email: aacm@muuc.dee; to decode, wherever there is a repeated letter