Re: line numbers

From: Benjamin Lewis
Subject: Re: line numbers
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 21:18:30 -0800

Matthew Low wrote:

> On Tue, 7 Jan 2003, Benjamin Lewis wrote:
>> Matthew Low wrote:
>>> I'm using Emacs 21.2.1. Is there any way to display line numbers on the
>>> screen as you are typing?
>> Yes:
>> I'm curious why you want this, though.  I've noticed a number of people
>> asking about this, and can't see where it would be useful, given some of
>> emacs' other features.
> I meant to show line numbers for every line on display, for example down
> the left margin of the screen. I'll implement this program as soon as I
> learn to use .el files. Thanks a lot.

That's what I thought you meant.  You don't have to do anything fancy; just
put the file setnu.el somewhere in your load path, and do M-x setnu-mode.

Actually, you probably also need a (require 'setnu) in your .emacs file.

Benjamin Lewis

Although the moon is smaller than the earth, it is farther away.