Changing default starting directory

From: Charles Muller
Subject: Changing default starting directory
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 20:25:52 +0900 (JST)

When I start up my Emacs (21.2 on Redhat 8) my startup directory in
*scratch* is by default

I want to change this to

And so I added the following to my .emacs file:

 '(default-directory "/mnt/win_d/docs")

This does not do the trick. I have Googled around a bit, and looked through
the Emacs manual to try to figure out how to do this, but with no luck
(probably, such a basic question, no one asks it).

Can anyone help me on this?

Charles Muller  <address@hidden>
Faculty of Humanities,  Toyo Gakuen University
Digital Dictionary of Buddhism and CJKV-English Dictionary
H-Buddhism List Editor []
Mobile Phone: 090-9310-1787