Re: buffers

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: buffers
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 10:23:04 +0000

chris.danx <spamoff.danx@ntlworld.com> wrote on Sat, 25 Jan 2003 02:04:24
+0000:
> Hi,

> I found some code to switch between buffers in the google archives of
> this group, but on some emacs it doesn't work as expected or rather it
> does but it goes to "hidden buffers" that don't show up in others.  At
> home (emacs 21.1.1 on mandrake) it works fine, going to/from any
> buffers open in order but at uni (running rh 7.2 - no emacs version
> number sorry) some buffers are selected which contain lots of symbols
> and err, other junk - it's probably not junk but it's incomprehensible
> to me.  I don't know off hand what these buffers are, only that they
> don't show up at home when cycling through the entire buffer list.

> Is there any way to prevent certain buffers from being selected when
> you cycle through buffers?  Are their "hidden buffers" in emacs?

There are buffers in emacs which do contain, er, junk, but their names
all start with a space.  Go to the *scratch* buffer, and execute
(buffer-list) with C-u C-x C-e.  Note the difference between

#<buffer cc-defs.el>             and
#<buffer  *Echo Area 0*>
         ^

> The code is

> ;switch between buffers
> (defalias 'switch-to-next-buffer 'bury-buffer)
> (defun switch-to-previous-buffer ()
>    "Switches to previous buffer"
>    (interactive)
>    (switch-to-buffer (nth (- (length (buffer-list)) 1) (buffer-list)))
> )

> (global-set-key "\C-c\j" 'switch-to-previous-buffer)
> (global-set-key "\C-c\k" 'switch-to-next-buffer)

It might be an idea to reprogram these commands so that internal buffers
are normally filtered out from the buffer list, but with a C-u prefix,
they would be treated as normal buffers.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)
Email: aacm@muuc.dee; to decode, wherever there is a repeated letter