Re: Wanted: Help isolating FTP problem

From: gebser
Subject: Re: Wanted: Help isolating FTP problem
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 18:51:51 -0500 (EST)

Siegfried Heintze at 18:15 (UTC-0000) on Wed, 29 Jan 2003 said:

= I would really like to use the FTP feature of Emacs to edit this web site
= because that FTP feature is wonderful.
= For some reason, this web site won't let me access any files in the www
= directory using emacs!
=
= It seems to work fine when I use Internet Explorer to drag and drop files
= from my local directory to the remote web site, however. And the old
= fashioned command prompt seems to work too.
=
= When I position the cursor on the (DIRED display) www line and hit return, I
= expect it to give me a directory listing of the contents of that directory.
= It does not! Instead it says "no file on this line".
=
= If I use find file, that does not work either, it gets stuck on the www and
= says "no such directory". There is clearly a directory there with lots of
= stuff in it, though.
=
= Here is the display from DIRED:
=  /xyz@www.decisionchannel.com:/:
=   01-28-03  03:07PM       <DIR>          cases
=   01-16-03  07:37PM       <DIR>          database
=   02-09-02  03:19PM       <DIR>          logs
=   11-05-02  11:51AM       <DIR>          MSFTPSVC15
=   10-11-02  03:18PM       <DIR>          www

Are you sure that this is not already displaying the contents of
"/xyz@www.decisionchannel.com:/"?  The semi-colon (:) at the end of the
line suggests to me that you're already looking at the directory
listing.  What do you get when you hit return with the cursor on, say,
"cases"?

Just trying to help,
ken