Re: Tab doesn't work in emacs

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Tab doesn't work in emacs
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 12:42:08 -0500

Original Message:
From:  address@hidden (kgold)
Date: 30 Jan 2003 16:22:02 GMT
To: address@hidden

In article <address@hidden>,
 Christopher Forsythe <address@hidden> writes:
> Hi,
>     I've lost the functionality of my tab button in emacs 21.1.1. I am
> running os x 10.2.3, and lost the functionality of my delete key as well,
> would bring up the help menu. Fixed that with a .emacs file. I'd like to
> able to do two things
> 1) Fix the tab function

        C-h c TAB

and tell us what you get.  It might be that the TAB key is mapped
to a function other than a primitive tab.

Heh, I'm not quite sure how to do C-h c TAB, I only know how to save and
close emacs. But I did figure out what Kai was talking about earlier. When
I edit a .cpp, .dll, or any file without an extension, tab works fine. When
it's a .c or .m file, no tab key functionality. How would I go about
changing it so that tab would work in all files?

> 2) Make the instructions in the .emacs file global, so that all users
> have it by just typing .emacs, but without putting a .emacs file into
> everyones home directory.

Think really hard before you do this.  Is it really a site wide
customization that people will need in order for emacs to work?  Or is
a cool customization that you like and want to share with everyone?

If the latter, it might annoy more users than it helps, when emacs
behaves in s strange non-default way and they can't figure out why.

>From the manual:

   There can also be a "default init file", which is the library named
`default.el', found via the standard search path for libraries.  The
Emacs distribution contains no such library; your site may create one
for local customizations.  If this library exists, it is loaded
whenever you start Emacs (except when you specify `-q').  But your init
file, if any, is loaded first; if it sets `inhibit-default-init'
non-`nil', then `default' is not loaded.

   Your site may also have a "site startup file"; this is named
`site-start.el', if it exists.  Emacs loads this library before it
loads your init file.  To inhibit loading of this library, use the
option `-no-site-file'.

Heh, it's my laptop, so the only other person using it would be my wife..
and she likes vi :)

Ken Goldman   address@hidden   914-784-7646
Help-gnu-emacs mailing list

mail2web - Check your email from the web at .