Re: accents in xterm emacs

From: Jean Magnan de Bornier
Subject: Re: accents in xterm emacs
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 19:23:01 +0100

"Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com>"
<monnier+gnu.emacs.help/news/@flint.cs.yale.edu>
a écrit notamment:

>>> Try 'TERM=linux && emacs -nw'.
>> Yes, this solves my problem number one,
>
> Huh !?  Does anybody know why this works ?
> I thought that C-x RET k (aka set-keyboard-coding-system) was unavoidable.
>
>> accented letters can be read within gnus). Besides I lose my "M" key,
>> which is kind of disturbing in emacs ;). I could not find it anywhere else.
>
> Maybe your terminal sends the same code for M-i as for é, in which
> case you'll first need to figure out how to tell it to send different
> codes so that Emacs can tell the difference.
> Usually, terminals can be configured to turn the meta key into an ESC
> prefix (which is Emacs understands automatically).  See the metaSendsEscape
> and the eightBitInput resources of your xterm.
>

>         Stefan
OK I will describe all the symptoms of what happens with my "emacs21 -nw";
my default coding is iso-8859-15.
When I start emacs in xterm, the special characters become:
é: TAB
è: go to next paragraph
ç: message in modeline "set face"
à: same as "F10"
If the I type C-X ret k I have the message to set coding system, with
"default: iso-latin-9" I just hit return and then my special characters are
back, and to obtain M-X I have to type ESC-X (M-X makes the phi small
letter).
When in gnus I still cannot see special char, but all what I described
before works in gnus as in other programs.
Typing C-X ret t has the following effect: modeline proposes to set coding
with default nil; I hit enter and do it again, and then the proposal is
"default iso-latin-9", I hit enter again and *nothing* is changed !!
Sorry to be so long and curious but I find this strange...
Thanks for any hint that would make emacs work as expected without setting
coding again each time, CU
--
Jean Magnan de Bornier
Faculté d'Économie Appliquée