Re: Disable switching of keyboard setting

From: Tim Morley (remove vegetable for email address)
Subject: Re: Disable switching of keyboard setting
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 16:13:19 +0100

> > "Paul" <pink_panter@gmx.at> writes:

> > while working with Emacs it happens to me very often that, by accidently

> > hitting a key-combination, Emacs switches the keyboard setting from
German

> > to American. So I would like to know, how I can disable this switching?
My

> > Emacs version: GNU Emacs 20.7.1 (i386-*-*nt5.1.2600)

> "Kai Großjohann" writes:

> There is a Windows function to do this, maybe you are invoking that?

This is a Windows function; you can choose shift-ctrl, shift-alt, or
ctrl-alt (I believe your exact choices depend on your version of Windows!).
Change the settings from Control Panel-->Keyboard-->Regional Settings.

However, there is a difference in Emacs behaviour related to this,
apparently between 20.3.1 which I used until recently and my current
preference, 21.2.1. The act of changing keyboard layouts now seems to
trigger the interactive compiled lisp function called `language-change'.
However, the `C-h k' help on this just says:

<language-change> runs the command ignore

which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `subr'.

(ignore &rest IGNORE)

Do nothing and return nil.

This function accepts any number of arguments, but ignores them.

So it does nothing useful it would seem. What it does, which is kind of
frustrating, is cancel (for example) any interactive search that's in
progress when the keyboard switch is done -- very frustrating when I've
typed half of the regular expression I want to search for and I suddenly
realise it's got an `é' in the middle of it, because switching to French
keyboard means I have to start again. :o(

As a know-nothing-beginner as far as lisp hacking is concerned, would some
kind soul be able to tell me how to remove this `feature'?

Thanks in advance.

Tim

*"Why the hell do you want to do that anyway?" I hear you cry. Well, because
I'm English, learnt to touch type and to use Emacs keyboard shortcuts on an
English keyboard, but now work on a French project on a French machine and
frequently need to type accented letters.