Re: Loading local .emacs from remote machine

From: gebser
Subject: Re: Loading local .emacs from remote machine
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 07:37:33 -0500 (EST)

gebser@Ameritech.Net at 19:38 (UTC-0500) on Tue, 4 Feb 2003 said:

= Kevin Rodgers at 16:30 (UTC-0700) on Tue, 4 Feb 2003 said:
=
= = gebser@ameritech.net wrote:
= =
= = > Kai Großjohann at 18:30 (UTC+0100) on Tue, 4 Feb 2003 said:
= = > = But the main problem is that tramp-shell-prompt-pattern is not
= = > = supposed to be a list.  It's supposed to be a string.
= = >
= = > A string in elisp must be some really strange thing.
= = >
= = > (add-to-list 'tramp-shell-prompt-pattern "abc")
= = >
= = > also gives the same error.  It seems that everything and anything I put
into
= = > the third arg is a listp.  It's a shame elisp is so obtuse.  I'd like to
learn
= = > it so's to do some helpful work on emacs.  Several times I've tried to do
= = > simple things in elisp, following books and tutorials, but never had any
= = > progress with it.  Maybe I need to be dyslexic.  :)
= =
= = Emacs Lisp is not Tcl, and a string is not a list.
=
= No argument here.  I'd even add that Emacs lisp isn't C, C++, java,
= pascal, html, sh, bash, or perl.  But all these and many others have
= pretty much the same syntax for a string.  You can go pretty far in any
= of those-- at least assign a value to a variable-- just by knowing that
= a string is zero or more characters enclosed in double quotes.
=
= Anyone have a similarly easy recipe for a string is in elisp?
=
= =
= = (setq tramp-shell-prompt-pattern
= =       (concat tramp-shell-prompt-pattern "\\|abc"))
= =

Kevin,

Thanks for the suggestion.  I see you are using "concat" to concatenate
to the given regexp and this works fine.  Thanks.

I'm seeing that what you really intended to say was that we should
eschew

(add-to-list 'tramp-shell-prompt-pattern .....)

for

(setq tramp-shell-prompt-pattern
      (concat tramp-shell-prompt-pattern "\\|REGEXP")

and that our Wendung to an ontology of the string would be pertinent
elsewhere.

Perhaps some of these conclusions could be added to the documentation on
tramp to assist others coming later.

Thanks again.
ken

--