Re: using emacs/efs with@ in username

From: andrew dunn
Subject: Re: using emacs/efs with@ in username
Date: 06 Feb 2003 03:00:01 +0000

Thanks for your reply, but thats not really the issue. The problem I'm
having is loading files from a remote server. Usually if I load a file
from a remote FTP server in XEmacs the username is something like
"username" and the domain will be "".

To request this file in XEmacs I'd load it as:

Now, the problem comes when the FTP username isn't just "username" but
instead something like "address@hidden". This means when logging
into the server via normal FTP I enter "address@hidden" for the

So whenever I want to load this file in XEmacs I'd load it as:

This equates to the required format of:

But if the username contains an "@" symbol then I get an error:
"Wrong type argument: stringp, nil"

Thats pretty much as I'd expect because there are now two "@" symbols in
the line, and emacs doesn't know which part is the username and which is
the server.

Ive tried using:

But that doesn't work either.

Do you see what I mean ? Do you have any further suggestions ?

Thanks alot,

On Thu, 2003-02-06 at 01:43, address@hidden wrote:
> If the problem is really the "at" sign (which I don't think it is), try
> doing:
> C-x C-f /path/to/user TAB
> and emacs should type in the 'at' sign for you (given that you don't
> have other files in the same subdir which start with "user" with some
> other character immediately after).
> I suspect that the problem is that you created files with names like
> "/" which means that emacs thinks
> that "/" is a subdirectory.  If so, get
> around that by putting a backslash ('\') in front of each slash
> character ('/') when opening the file.
> If this doesn't fix it for you, do an "ls -al" on the files in question
> and send the output to us.
> hth,
> ken
> andrew dunn at 00:08 (UTC-0000) on 6 Feb 2003 said:
> = Hi,
> =
> = Ive been using XEmacs now with my own server for quite some time,
> = opening and saving documents remotely using the format:
> = /address@hidden:/file.html
> =
> = Recently Ive had to start editing files on a server that includes the @
> = symbol in the username (e.g. 'address@hidden'), which seems to make it
> = impossible to open files correctly.
> =
> = The format for opening now becomes:
> = /
> =
> = As you'd expect this doesn't work because it doesn't know which @ symbol
> = is part of the username, and which one separates the user from the
> = domain. I hope this is clear what my problem is, and there is some kind
> = of simple solution.
> =
> = Thanks for your help,
> =