Re: How useful to run GDB and CVS from *WITHIN* Emacs? How helps?

From: Edgar Antonio Luna Díaz
Subject: Re: How useful to run GDB and CVS from *WITHIN* Emacs? How helps?
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 21:38:33 -0600

seberino@spawar.navy.mil (Christian Seberino) writes:
> How much benefit would there be to using GDB and CVS from within
> Emacs???
Well, maybe integration is the word, some examples:

When you make a commit in cvs via console, you use: cvs ci
well, if you us pcl-cvs in emacs you use just: c now, with command
line de $EDITOR (or $VISUAL) will run and you will use it to make your
comment, with pcl-cvs, a buffer opens and you can edit there with
_all_ functionality of emacs (ie. key bindings), and then C-c C-c and
the commit is done, I have heard about integrate the ChangeLog file
with the cvs changelog, but never used it.

With GDB, maybe this screenshot would be usefull,
http://www.nick.uklinux.net/screenshot.png the package that make that
is gdbel (run on top of GUD AFAIK), and now is integrated in the cvs
of emacs, the more visible feature is that you could see the line in
that you are in step by that arrow in the source buffer.

> I'm trying real hard to convince myself it will be a good
> idea to run this from Emacs.
This of course are not arguments, are just examples, the arguments
come form emacs itself, you could do things too particular even weird,
but that could be useful for you, and never stop, maybe you think that
any key binding could be shorter, you could do it, maybe a repetitive
task that you want that execute 1000 times, you could do it, or maybe
the most strange string substitution but that you just want to do any
each summer, you could do it, maybe you like the Vi key bindings, take
Viper.

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
This is my _little_. Hope that help

--
Edgar Antonio Luna Díaz
Key Fingerprint: C008 5EAC 5272 AC8C 7589  4821 8B34 6166 8733 8310