Re: Debian: Avoid install-info errors on "make install"?

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Debian: Avoid install-info errors on "make install"?
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 10:23:07 +0100

Bijan Soleymani <bijan@psq.com> writes:

> kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
>> Debian has its own install-info.  It writes the right dir entries, it
>> seems, but it /additionally/ references /var/backups.
>>
>> The Debian folk say that their install-info does exactly what Debian
>> needs.  But I'm afraid it doesn't do what I need.  I'd be happy about
>> a regular install-info as distributed with GNU Texinfo.  But that
>> will never happen (I mean they never will distribute it), I'm afraid.
>
> I still don't understand the big conflict between the two versions of
> install-info. Why won't Debian ever distribute it? What's wrong with
> the version that comes with texinfo.
>
> In any case if you want the behaviour of the other install-info why
> not just use that during the installation procedure.

If I had the GNU version, I'd be a happy camper.  But I didn't want
to install GNU Texinfo from source just because of this.

The Debian folks started the whole thing, their install-info is older
than the GNU version.  So it's understandable that they are somewhat
reluctant to ditch their version.

But in the end, how about you ask them to change it?  (If you're a
Debian user.)  That could be quite useful either way: either you get
an explanation about why they don't want to do it, or they do it and
make me happy :-)
--
A turnip curses Elvis