Re: load a minor mode automatically

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: load a minor mode automatically
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 18:35:23 +0100

Luca Ferrari <fluca1978@libero.it> writes:

> I'm a newbie of Emacs, I've tried to find my solution on the Emacs manual,
> but I can't:
> how to load automatically a minor mode modifing my .emacs file?

Maybe it's easier if you describe which minor mode you want and under
which circumstances.

For example, to enable auto-fill (it's a minor mode) for all
text-like modes (major modes), do this:

(add-hook 'text-mode-hook 'turn-on-auto-fill)

Other minor modes might not have a turn-on function.  (Does auto-fill
turn you on? ;-)  So you have to write it yourself:

(defun luca-turn-on-foo-mode ()
  (foo-mode 1))

Let's say you want to enable foo-mode for C++ mode, then you need the
above, plus:

(add-hook 'c++-mode-hook 'luca-turn-on-foo-mode)

--
A turnip curses Elvis