Re: getting jerked around by C-x h (select whole buffer as region)

From: Harry Putnam
Subject: Re: getting jerked around by C-x h (select whole buffer as region)
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 02:38:01 GMT

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Harry Putnam <hgp@sbcglobal.net> writes:
>
>> How can I avoid being jerked to the top of a large buffer when I run
>> the command C-x h (select whole buffer as region).
>
> This is not possible: the region is always the stretch of text
> between point and mark.  So either point or mark must be at the
> beginning of the buffer, and the other must be at the end.

Some one sent me code privately that does it.  But I hadn't really
considered the actual mechanics; point-min and point-max being the
region and all.  However, I wonder if it would be serious bloatation
to add code to C-x h that remembers starting mark.

> I wonder if C-u C-SPC takes you back (possibly repeat a couple of
> times).  If not, then you might have to do C-SPC before C-x h so that
> C-u C-SPC can take you back.

Turns out this does work.  I didn't know about C-u C-SPC.  It takes
two jumps to get back .... thanks.