Re: key binding question

From: maierh
Subject: Re: key binding question
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2003 13:14:03 +0200

Kevin Reeder <avail@uponrequest.org> writes:

> When using the python interpreter within emacs, I'd like to have the
> up/down arrows echo previous commands. Can anyone give me the code for
> this?

The common philosophy on this subject is to use M-p and M-n because
with down and up or C-n and C-p you might move in the buffer. Anyway,
I don't know the python interpreter mode, but if it's derived from
comint then you can set in the interpreter mode hook the function
'comint-previous-input' and 'comint-next-input' to your favorite keys.

Here an example that sets in general for all comint modes new function
keys. But you can set this too only for a special mode such as
'shell-mode-hook' or maybe 'py-mode-hook' (?).

(add-hook
 'comint-mode-hook
 (lambda ()
   (interactive)
   (define-key comint-mode-map [up]   'comint-previous-input)
   (define-key comint-mode-map [down] 'comint-next-input)
   ))

Harald