Re: [NEWBIE] Questions

From: Robert Pollard
Subject: Re: [NEWBIE] Questions
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 11:19:27 -0700

On Saturday, April 12, 2003, at 02:26 PM, Kai Großjohann wrote:

Robert Pollard <rpollard@apple.com> writes:

The two spaces after the "1." come from the fact that Emacs thinks
it's a sentence-end period and hence it makes two spaces.  Emacs
always assumes two spaces after a sentence, when you do M-q.

Are there variables that allow you to indicate what pattern an end of sentence should follow? It seems this pattern isn't specific enough. If I indicate that a sentence usually isn't started with a number and a period on a new line then that should be enough to get it to do this only when it is a valid sentence, correct?

I much prefer a carriage return to indicate the end of the
paragraph.  As it stands, you have to have a blank line between
paragraphs to indicate the end of the paragraph.

I don't understand this.  Emacs almost never uses carriage return
(^M) in a buffer.  And even inside a paragraph, every line ends with
a newline.

There is longlines.el which can remove "superfluous" newlines
(within paragraphs) when writing the file and it re-adds them when
reading the file.

Using "carriage return" was word processor speak. I actually didn't know what Emacs uses for end of line/paragraph when you hit the return key. Since looking at paragraph-start and paragraph-separate I come to the conclusion that it is looking for a line feed "\f" for paragraph-separate and a carriage return and line feed "\n\f" for paragraph-start. Is this correct? If not what does \n and \f mean?

It appears there may be some kind of continuation pattern being used
for each variable.  I do understand basic regular expressions but I
don't fully understand these patterns.

Continuation pattern?

The info docs said something about changing both variables if you change one. I assumed this meant that both variable definitions together consisted of what makes up the end of a paragraph? Is this not correct?

[snip]
Why would these key equivalents not work?  This is my first time for
using Emacs in Cygwin but I thought the key equivalents would be the
same on all systems.

I have no idea why they might fail.

To quote a poster who sent me the answer directly:
"This problem, with this particular key combination, is indeed
frequently asked about, but I don't know that it's addressed in any
FAQ.  Anyway: edit c:\cygwin\cygwin.bat, and add the line

        set CYGWIN=tty

before the call to `bash'."

Thank you very much for your time,

Robert Pollard