Re: Where is the font for IPA phonetic symbol?

From: Oliver Scholz
Subject: Re: Where is the font for IPA phonetic symbol?
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2003 11:18:42 +0200

wang yin <wy@wangyin.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> When I use a French-English dictionary, emacs can't display some of
> the phonetic symbols.
>
> For example:
>
> 1 definition found
>
> From eng-fra[eng-fra]:
>
> example
>       [igzɑːmpl] <-- I can't see the two characters after "igz"
>       exemple
>
> When Can I find the fonts for them?

It depends on your operating system. You need an ISO 10646 font that
contains the IPA repertoire. On GNU/Linux I use misc-fixed and I can
see the IPA characters.

On X11 you can check the available fonts with the “xfontsel”
program. You can check whether a font contains a specific repertoire
by displaying it with “xfd -fn <font-specifier>” and then searching
for the requested code pages. For MS Windows there's an extension
available from Microsoft that gives a more usable “properties” dialog,
when you right-click on a font in the “fonts” folder.

When you have your font, you can use font-sets to use it only for a
specific charset.

    Oliver
--
7 Floréal an 211 de la Révolution