Re: Reading national characters in filenames on Mac OS X?

From: Jonas Steverud
Subject: Re: Reading national characters in filenames on Mac OS X?
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 21:37:48 +0200

kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Piet van Oostrum <piet@cs.uu.nl> writes:
>
>> You can open and create the files and directories properly with the utf-8
>> file-name-coding. The only thing is dired will not display the filename
>> properly. This is because Mac OSX uses normalised UTF-8 for the filenames,
>> which means that the accent character is separated from the letter and put
>> behind it. And Emacs UTF-8 implementation doesn't understand this.
>
> Ah, I didn't know what was meant by «normalized UTF-8».  It's a pity
> that Emacs doesn't grok it.

So, if I understand this correctly, I will be able to edit my
non-english files if I set file-coding-system to 'utf-8 and finds an
UTF-8 font.

Correct?

If so, how do I find such a font on my system? I checked xfontsel and
the "only" selections for "encdng" *, 0, 1, 2, ..., 10, 13, 14, 15,
dectech, fontspecific, irv, r, ru, standard and symbol.

(I don't know what half of them stands for. The numbers are ISO 8859,
but the others I do not know.)

Or are there a better/easier way of selection a "UTF-8 font" for Emacs?

I presume that the fonts that comes with Mac OS X are UTF-8 encoded,
right? If so, I assume I need to tell something something that Emacs
should be able to use this too, right?

Shouldn't I set terminal-coding-system (or whatever the variabels name
is) to something too? set-language-environment sets a lot of things.

/Jonas, a little bewildered and on unchartered territory - to him.
--
(         http://hem.bredband.net/steverud        !     Wei Wu Wei     )
(        Meaning of U2 Lyrics, Roleplaying        !  To Do Without Do  )