Re: C help reference within Emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: C help reference within Emacs
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 07:14:54 +0300

> From: Tom <libero_s@libero.itNOSPAM>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 18:32:33 GMT
>
> Hi. I was wondering if there's some lisp package that implements a
> browsable C reference manual. For instance when I'm editing some C files
> I need to remember the syntax of some function and I'd like to reach the
> definition in the manual maybe with some convienient shortcut.

This is already done, but the feature needs some setup if you use
some OS other than GNU/Linux.

The command is `info-lookup-symbol', by default bound to "C-h TAB".
It looks at the symbol at point and then displays the appropriate
documentation from the Info manual which describes that symbol.

The data structures that tell Emacs where to look for manuals for
various programming languages are set up for GNU/Linux systems.  If
you use something else, you will have to use
`info-lookup-maybe-add-help' (in your ~/.emacs init file) to add
information about the documentation on your system.

In addition, you will have to install the Info manuals themselves, if
they aren't installed already.  For example, for C symbols, you will
need to install the C library manual.  Again, for GNU/Linux, this is
already installed by default.