Re: Help producing the Alt modifier

From: Klaus Zeitler
Subject: Re: Help producing the Alt modifier
Date: 29 Apr 2003 08:51:56 +0200

    Jeremy> I'm having trouble getting Emacs to recognise the <Alt> modifier.
    Jeremy> I'm using Emancs 21.2.1 under Slackware Linux 8.1 and running
    Jeremy> under KDE 3.0.3  I'm using the standard xmodmap from the
    Jeremy> installation with a standard  US 101 key keyboard.

101 keys, is that one that has got no windows keys on it, i.e. only an
Alt on the left and one on the right of the space bar? IIRC than there's no
Meta key defined. Emacs has a special feature to use Alt as Meta if there's no
Meta key, cause Meta is what you need most (besides Ctrl) in emacs.
If that is the case I'd suggest to change one of your Alt keys to Meta
(see xmodmap).

Klaus

|  Klaus Zeitler      Lucent Technologies  |
---
Hofstadter's Law:
It always takes longer than you expect, even
when you take Hofstadter's Law into account.