[SOLVED]I cant save and preview, special characters

From: Petr Šimon
Subject: [SOLVED]I cant save and preview, special characters
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 22:51:03 +0800

I am new to emacs.

Welcome!

I have too instalations and two problems. Both are on Debian,
installed from packages.

1. When I try to save it says: Symbol's function definition is void:
   call-with-transparent-undo. Well in fact whatever I do gives me
   this, preview too. So I am learning emacs and latex, but can't see
   or use anything I type in.

Are you using GNU Emacs or XEmacs?  As far as I know, only XEmacs has
a function called `call-with-transparent-undo'.  If you get this error
in GNU Emacs, then you are probably using a lisp package that was
intended for XEmacs.

2. on my laptop it works (saving), but I have problem with other
   things. First of all I don't see the same toolbar as on my other
computer.

If you see a different toolbar, then most likely, one of your emacsen
is GNU Emacs while the other is XEmacs.

   When I find file, Yatex invites me, but I dont have
Command Preview and Latex.

The Command and Latex menus belong to the AUC TeX package, the Preview
menu belongs to the Preview package.  Maybe these packages are not
installed (properly)?

   When I try to select LaTex command from Yatex > Process > LaTex
   it says /bin/bash: line 1: platex: command not found. I have
   installed the ptex-bin package which should contain platex, but
   peoblems pertains.

What happens if you just invoke platex in a console?  (Type `platex'
at the shell prompt.)

3. (ok not only two problems...) I can save and then generate dvi file
   with latex. But I can do it only with English. I am sorry for this,
   maybe I can read it somewhere, but I did I wasn't really able to
   find something I could easily use. I need to get pdf or ps with
   lots of "abnormal" characters like Chinese, doubled and trippled
   diacritics. I set the environment to utf-8-unix and saved the file
   like utf-8-unix, but instead of my characters I got only little bit
   of mess, some of original even disappeared.

I'm not very intimate with internationalization, but in general you
use latex to get a dvi file from latex source files (*.tex files).
From the dvi file you can create a postscript file with dvips, or a
pdf file with dvipdf.  There are also latex compilers that can
generate pdf files directly.

Lute.

Hi,
Thanks for invitation and help. I had both emacs and xemacs installed and maybe that caused the errors. INow I got rid of xemacs and I keep only GNU emacs.So basically everything works fine now. But... another post follows ;-)
Thanks Petr