Re: Emacs Customization - newbie's question

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: Emacs Customization - newbie's question
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 04:38:05 +0000 (UTC)

In article <5ld6k7875g.fsf@rum.cs.yale.edu>,
Stefan Monnier <monnier+gnu.emacs.help/news/@flint.cs.yale.edu> wrote:
>> I'm a newbie to Emacs. I tried to read the Emacs manual but it looks so
>> complicated to me. So asking here is a better way for me, I think.

Yes, a much better way to start out.

Type in this:  Control-H   t (the letter "t").

That will get you into the interactive tutorial, written
by the master himself.

Each thing he teaches, he has you do it yourself,
right then and there.

After finishing that, THEN read the manual.

If you can't afford the manual or even printing
it out, then type in  Control-H  i  ("i", for "info").

Using what you learned from the tutorial, hunt down
for a "* Emacs", and when there, hit "m" followed
by a carriage-return (I believe).

Good luck!

David